In summer, the heat tends to bloat us. Hands and ankles denote the consequences of a situation that further upsets the balance of fluid imbalance in our body. Heat also affects fluid retention, so swelling of the abdomen and legs increases, increasing heaviness and fatigue. These symptoms can lead to a change in our lifestyle, which is almost guaranteed after the holidays. The diet varies, sometimes towards unhealthy habits. such as excessive consumption of fried foods and alcohol. There is also a tendency to a sedentary lifestyle, which contributes to an increase in fluid retention.
Apart from a poor diet or a sedentary lifestyle, there are several possible causes of fluid imbalances in our body. Suffer circulatory problems, hormonal changes, certain medications, or insufficient hydration It can also cause fluid retention. Miriam Yebenes, an expert in the field of aesthetic medicine and nutrition, director of the cosmetic company Maribel Yébenes, reveals the most effective commandments to combat it, where the main thing is to start with the most necessary – diet.
rules against fluid retention
- “The main thing is to exclude saltor cooking or eating foods with sodium-free salt,” explains Miriam Yebenes. Sodium and potassium are involved in the regulation of cell volume. Excess salt increases sodium levels and causes water to move out of cells and accumulate in tissues, causing swelling known as fluid retention.
- Continuing the diet, Miriam Yebenes believes it is very important to include diuretic products such as artichokes, asparagus, watermelon, melon or pineapple, seasonal fruits that help detoxify and cleanse the body. “You can also make a cleansing broth at night or eat endive with white fish,” he advises.
- On hot days it It’s important to stay well hydrated. Drinking plenty of water helps flush out toxins effectively. So when you feel thirsty, water is the best option. Soft drinks usually contain a lot of sugar in their formulas, and those without it trick our body with sweet taste and, of course, increase bloating.
- Alcohol is also not a healthy option. Miriam Yebenes advises avoid tobacco and alcohol as the enemies of the skin and general well-being that they are. Both habits can exacerbate fluid retention and have other negative health effects that reduce your quality of life.
- Keep your body active even on vacation. Exercise, even if it’s only fifteen minutes a day.This may be good for your body. Take advantage of the good weather to run on the beach or play volleyball. As Miriam Yebenes advises: “It is very important to do cardiovascular sports every day, first of all, make you sweat about 30 minutes. Let it be fast, but intense.”
- Cosmetic procedures. As an expert in aesthetic medicine, Maribel Yebenes does not forget the power of cleansing beauty treatments such as Body Plan, a 15-day method that helps eliminate fluids, fats and toxins while cleansing, purifying and inducing satiety and relaxation. It contains cleansing and detoxifying ingredients such as bamboo, artichoke, horsetail, pineapple, and dandelion, as well as potassium, magnesium, chromium, silicon, and vitamins C, B1, B5, B6, and B12.